How To Fund Your Trust And Avoid Probate

1. Real estate

A new deed in the name of the trust must be drawn and recorded at the county clerk’s office. Stocks, bonds, mutual funds – to transfer the ownership of these assets into your trust, you need to contact your broker, investment counselor or transfer agent for the proper paperwork and complete those documents as instructed.

2. Savings bonds

You will need to obtain a reissue form from the Federal Reserve Bank and re-title the bonds in the name of the trust. Brokerage accounts – contact your broker for the proper forms that will enable the broker to close the existing accounts and transfer the assets into a new trust account.

6-15-16 replacement.JPG

3. Stock certificates

You will need to send a completed “stock power” form as well as a W-9 form with your tax ID number with the original stock certificates to the company’s transfer agent. Bank accounts, CDs – new accounts will need to be established in the name of the trust. If your bank cannot transfer CDs until the maturity date, then mark them “in trust for” a beneficiary until the CDs mature and you can transfer them to the trust. As your partner in planning for the financial security of yourself and your family, we would never let your trust go unfunded. Our concern for you doesn’t stop with the signing of any legal documents — we will always follow up with you to ensure everything has been done properly so you are fully protected.

You can learn more about how a trust might benefit you and your family by calling us at 727-537-6818 to schedule a Family Wealth Planning Session, where we can identify the best strategies for you and your family.