Close Menu


Legal Planning for High School Graduates


If you’re the parent of a high school graduate this year, congratulations! Raising a child and getting them ready for life is no small challenge. With diploma in hand they are off to join the real world. Whatever their next step in life will be, you likely want to protect them just as much as you did while they were growing up. GraduationBefore you pack that kid off to college or just an apartment across town, you need to know that when they leave, they will be taking with them some of the legal rights you had before they turned 18.

Once a child turns 18, they are no longer considered a child in the eyes of the law. And, you no longer have the legal right to access their health care, school or banking records without their permission. Here are some steps to take before your child leaves the nest that will help ensure your peace of mind and their safety:

Create an advance healthcare directive. Once your child is officially an adult, they need to have an advance healthcare directive that will allow you to access their medical records and make medical decisions for them in case they become incapacitated. This is essential in case of an emergency. They will also need to sign a Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) form that allows medical professionals to share information with you.

Add an ICE app to your child’s phone. Add an ICE (In Case of Emergency) app to the home page of your child’s phone that lists your contact information and also create an ICE listing in his or her phone contacts with this information. Your child is much more likely to always have their phone with them than to carry a printed card or document.

For more information on protecting your family, contact our office at (727) 537-6818 or to schedule a time for us to identify the best ways to ensure the security of your loved ones. Come on in anytime this Summer and we’ll waive our $750 planning fee PLUS create a free healthcare directive for your young adult child.